Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Woman's Worth: Women in the Arts Celebration

Wow is all I can say! Last night I had a really wonderful time at an event here in Little Rock that I just happenned to find out about. I went there to perform a bit of poetry and to showcase Etniq. Thanks and Kudos go out to Katy at ASN (Arkansas Sustainability Network) for telling me about it!

The event I went to was a celebration of women in the arts and as such, featured women poets, artists, and songtresses who each shared their work with a warmly receptive crowd. It was hosted and organized by the Urban Hang Suite Ladies, a group that apparently holds it down culturewise here in LR.

The vibe was amazing - nurturing, warm, supportive sisterhood. Even the men in the house contributed to the sense of appreciation and celebration of womenfolk. I got the chance to read a few of my poems (I haven't read at a poetry cipher in a long time so that was a nice treat), talked with a lot of women about the beauty of mineral makeup, and overally just enjoyed being with such lovely people.

I really had NO idea that I'd find something like this in my beloved Little Rock and I was so happy to have not missed it. Below are some of the photos I took. I wish I could have gotten a snap of every single performer - they were all so dynamic, passionate, and talented!




Apparently, there is a poetry nite every Friday at Mediums Art Gallery here. I'm definitely going to check it out!

No comments: